Fungus between the toes is a disease that belongs to the group of mycoses. It spreads quickly to other places. Infection occurs when in contact with fungal spores, for example, while wearing someone else’s shoes, walking barefoot in a public pool.
Fungal infection always starts in only one limb. If the itching and burning are between the toes and everything started at the same time, then you need to look for the cause in another plane.
The most common symptoms include mucosal exfoliation between the fingers, inflammation, and slight swelling. In advanced cases, skin hyperemia, leakage, cracks, unpleasant odor from the limbs.
Consider what causes fungus between the fingers, treatment with cheap but effective drugs as well as alternative medicine methods.
How are fungi infected?
Foot fungus is a contagious disease. The infection occurs due to the patient wearing someone else’s shoes in pedicure offices where they do not control the proper handling of the instruments. You can become infected in a public shower, bath or pool, as mentioned earlier.
The infectious process develops after the penetration of fungal spores into the structure of the nail plate. The fungus begins to progress rapidly, creating tunnels and passages that cause external changes to the nails.
Quite often, the transmission of fungi is observed in the same family, which is associated with a high degree of disease transmission. Spores are transmitted through items such as washbasins, carpets, gloves, etc. Sh.
Public gathering places where sanitary and hygienic rules are not observed can be a breeding ground not only for fungal infections but also for other diseases. Humidity and heat are favorable conditions for the development of pathogenic microorganisms.
In the history of provocative factors, infection with a fungal infection occurs much more quickly and easily than compared to people who do not have them.
The following factors contribute to the action of fungi:
- Prolonged use of glucocorticosteroids and antibacterial drugs;
- Circulatory system pathology;
- Any type of diabetes;
- Non-compliance with hygiene rules;
- Hyperhidrosis of the lower extremities;
- Tight or poor quality shoes;
- A sharp decrease in immunity;
- VSD, VRV;
- Violation of skin integrity;
- Trauma (especially of a chronic nature).
In the absence of proper treatment, the fungus begins to progress. "Moves" from the interdigital space to other areas of the skin, the nails.
Other causes of fungal infections include dermatological diseases - eczema, psoriasis and metabolic disorders, old age.
Symptoms of fungal infection
Itching of the fingers is an obvious symptom of fungal disease. But it does not appear in all people, it differs in severity. Some patients complain of severe itching that prevents sleep, while others do not notice it in practice.
In the initial stage, itching and slight irritation in the interdigital area of the feet may be the only symptom. In a short time they are added to the skin exfoliation. It was as if the fingers were sprinkled with flour.
In addition, more pronounced symptoms appear. On the skin, hyperemia, peeling is more pronounced, sometimes marked by vesicular neoplasms (like small formations). The picture is accompanied by itching and burning. If nothing is done, then a diaper rash occurs, the feet start to moan and sweat.
When the fungus spreads to other areas of the skin, it manifests itself in flaking of the skin, becoming more dense at the base of the foot. When the nail is damaged, its color changes, it becomes very thin or thick, peeling is noted.
The symptoms at an advanced stage are as follows:
- Exfoliation of the epidermis occurs.
- The skin begins to crack strongly, which is quite painful.
- Increased sweating of the limbs.
- Purulent vesicles appear.
- The skin does not stop itching.
Any of the symptoms described should be alarming. The fungus is very difficult to treat, so the earlier treatment is started, the more favorable the prognosis.
Forms and types of disease
Fungal disease is the result of the activity of three types of fungi. Namely, dermatophytes, yeast (yeast-like) and mold. The latter "love" heat and moisture, yeast-like fungi affect both the skin and the nail plate.
In most clinical pictures, mycosis develops due to dermatophytes. Mostly the little finger or thumb is affected.
Depending on the severity of the clinic and the forms of manifestation, the disease can be manifested in the following forms:
- Deleted. In this case there is a slight peeling, strongly itching between the fingers, the skin is peeling, may crack. Excessive dryness of the skin of the extremities is noted.
- Bubbles appear against the background of the dehydrated form. They are filled with exudate and explode over time.
- Flat-hyperkeratotic form. Symptoms include hyperemia, the appearance of rings. A white plaque appears at the site of the finger folds. Severe itching is noted.
- Intertriginous form. With this type of fungal infection, the skin under the fingers suffers and the interdigital area becomes inflamed and red.
Treatment of digital fungus in the middle is prescribed after identification of a specific pathogen. The process is long and expensive.
Peculiarities of mycosis treatment
Regardless of the type, form, clinic, and severity of the disease, treatment is essential. Therapy is prescribed by a dermatologist. It takes a relatively long time - from a few months or longer.
They prefer to fight fungal infections in a complex way. Antifungal medications are used. Antibacterial treatment is recommended in the presence of pustular neoplasms.
Once diagnosed, you should be subject to the processing of your personal belongings. Shoes are treated with special means such as clothing.
But with washing towels, slippers and other similar items, it is better to separate.
Principles of treatment of pregnant women and children
Fungus removal is more difficult during pregnancy. The fact is that antifungal pills are contraindicated in pregnant women. Therefore, doctors use topical medications, for example, they prescribe ointments for fungus between the toes. They should be used with caution, strictly following the doctor's recommendations.
Folk remedies are good during pregnancy. Make foot baths with anti-fungal components and lotions. It is better to discuss non-traditional methods with a dermatologist to avoid negative consequences.
Treatment of interdigital fungi in children feet has its own characteristics. Antifungal medications are prohibited for children under 2 years of age. It is difficult to cure a child because an adult understands that, for example, a bath is needed for recovery and this cannot be explained to a 3-4 year old child.
The treatment regimen for children is compiled individually. The list of appointments depends on the type of pathogen, the symptoms, the area of the lesion, the age and weight of the child.
Pharmacies against interdigital fungi
Traditional medicine knows many effective medicines to help you destroy fungi. They can be bought at the pharmacy, sold without a doctor's prescription. Forms of release - gels, ointments, creams, tablets, balms.
Treatment with folk remedies at home
Alternative therapy can be attributed to the adjuvant method. No folk remedy can help destroy the fungus. At the same time, they accelerate recovery. Therefore, it is recommended to treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide before using antifungal drugs.
Some use novocaine for treatment. Whether this is justified by interdigital fungi is hard to say. If the fungus has infected the nail plates, then the medicine will help - it is used in the form of lotions, applied 1-2 times a day. The duration of the manipulation is 1 hour.
Essential oils of tea tree, lemon, celandine, clove and cinnamon are used for symptomatic therapy. They relieve pain syndrome, soothe the skin, neutralize itching and burning. Moisturizes the skin and promotes healing. They do not destroy the fungus, but inhibit the activity.
Methods of non-traditional treatment of fungi:
- Salt baths have a detrimental effect on fungal microorganisms. Add 15 g of common salt to warm water for cooking. Put the limbs in the container. The procedure lasts 15 minutes. After manipulation, the feet are not washed with soap, only with warm water.
- Bath with the addition of wine vinegar. It is a good folk remedy. You need to pour 100 ml of vinegar in a liter of warm water. Lower limbs. Keep for 15-20 minutes. After the procedure, the affected area is removed with iodine smear. If there are cracks, it is better not to do it, it will hurt.
- Celandine-based bath. Pour two tablespoons of the dried component into 500 ml of hot water. Insist for half an hour. Add a small amount of plain water to the infusion, lowering the legs into the container. Time - up to half an hour. Repeat once a day for a month.
- Onion juice is used to lubricate the affected area with fungus. If there is no leak, the skin is intact, you can make a half-hour lotion. It is necessary to put onion soup on a clean cloth, place it between your fingers. The procedure can be repeated every other day.
- Iodine bath. A few drops of iodine are added to the water bath. Hold the legs for 15 minutes. After manipulating the water, the feet become dry. An anti-fungal cream is used.
- Pour 25 g of worm powder into 500 ml of hot water. Insist 2 hours. Rub the solution between your fingers or leave it for 15 minutes. Treatment for 1 week or longer.
When treating fungi, you must follow the rules of prevention. This is the only way to get rid of an infectious disease and prevent a secondary infection.